Immigration and Citizenship Canada has important information for immigrants who are in an abusive relationship.

Government Links:

Abuse information:

How to delete your browser:


You don’t have to stay in an abusive relationship to keep your status in Canada.

The person who’s abusing you might tell you that

  • you’ll be deported or
  • lose your children if you leave.

This is not true.  A spouse with children can file an application called Humanitarian & Compassionate Grounds (H&C).  In some cases, spouses without children can also apply for H&C consideration.  H&C consideration is a special kind of application that allows immigration officers to exempt spouses (applicants) from certain rules and regulations.

Get help if someone is threatening you

  • Call 9-1-1 or your local police, in an emergency.
  • Call 1-888-242-2100 to contact the IRCC Client Support Centre for information on your citizenship or immigration status.
  • Call 2-1-1 to find community, social and health services
  • Find more services and information to deal with violence and abuse.